THE MISSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving from our doorsteps "to the ends of the earth.
THE VISION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice.
THE CONFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
As members of the Christian Church, we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world.
(Preamble to The Design)
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) contains many ministries that work in covenant to resource congregations for mission and ministry. Please use the links below to explore their web sites.
- Stone-Campbell Dialogue explores new church development (10/14/2014) - An estimated 250-300 members of Churches of Christ, Disciples of Christ, and Christian Churches and Churches of Christ came together for an evening worship service and observance of the Lord’s Supper on Oct. 5 for the 19th meeting of the Stone-Campbell Dialogue. The service included presentations on the history and nature of the Stone-Campbell Dialogue...
- Thinking about Ferguson (10/14/2014) - Maya Angelou once said, “Prejudice is a burden which confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible.” As I pray, write and think about Ferguson, I, like many of you, am searching for words and thoughts that name our sin, and also serve to enter on the way toward wholeness in a...
- Who takes care of our regional ministers? (10/7/2014) - By Jaquelyn Foster It is likely that most of us – whether pastors or lay persons – think of our Regional Ministers when we need their particular ministry, when our congregation is looking for a new pastor, or when pastors are searching for a new congregation. We might call our Regional Minister if the congregation...
- On children at the border (9/3/2014) - Note: Dr. Watkins shared the following during a Sept. 3, 2014, press conference in support of a letter sent to President Barack Obama by faith leaders. The letter urges the President to protect unaccompanied children and families in any executive action on immigration. Read the letter A retired pastor, whose son works border patrol in...
- Ferguson, Missouri, Statement: “Out of a Mountain of Despair – Hope” (8/20/2014) - For the better part of a week, the streets of Ferguson, Missouri have echoed with hopelessness, despair, grief and anger in reaction to the shooting death of Michael Brown, an 18-year old black man by white police officers. A fairly unknown suburb of St. Louis, Ferguson will now take its place in the ever lengthening...
- “Music on the Labyrinth” (8/19/2014) - Four years ago, Senior Pastor Chuck Blaisdell of First Christian Church conceived the idea of having half a dozen Saturday evening outdoor concerts held on the church's beautiful labyrinth (inspired by the one at Chartres Cathedral). In the four years since, those concerts have included a wonderful range of music from Saxophone Quartets to Men's...
- Historical Society announces new hours, addresses financial challenges (7/18/2014) - The Board of the Disciples of Christ Historical Society temporarily suspended operations on June 30, 2014 to address significant financial challenges facing the Society. During this time, Dr. Glenn Thomas Carson concluded his service as the President of the Society. This past week, the Finance Committee met in Nashville to begin the painful process of...
- Higher Education and Leadership Ministries calls transitional president (7/17/2014) - Recognizing a transitional point in the life of its witness and ministry, the board of directors of Higher Education and Leadership Ministries(HELM) of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) has called the Rev. Bernard "Chris" Dorsey to serve as its next president effective Aug. 1. A dynamic and creative leader, Dorsey is currently an Assistant Professor...
- Disciples of Christ Historical Society Board receives Carson’s resignation (7/11/2014) - The Disciples of Christ Historical Society has accepted the resignation of Dr. Glenn Thomas Carson as President of the Society, effective July 31, 2014. Carson, a church-historian from Georgia, has served the society since 2005. During Carson’s tenure the society advanced its digital presence, increasing services to over 100 countries. The tenure also saw many...
- Seventy-four. (6/11/2014) - Seventy-four. It’s a big number. It is the number of school shootings since Sandy Hook Elementary where over 20 little bodies were torn apart by bullets. There have been other shootings in other places along the way, making the number of dead much, much higher than a mere 74. Included of course, is the man who was “carrying,” who pulled his weapon and was shot dead himself last week in Las Vegas. Included, as well, are the uncounted, unnamed people, mostly in our cities, who are targeted or caught in the cross-fire of our violent culture.
Plans for the 2015 General Assembly are underway! The theme, "Soar!" is based on Isaiah 40. Comfort, preparation, call, challenge – all are contained in this single chapter. And there is also the promise of fresh strength to SOAR!
Visit the General Assembly web site to learn more about the theme, explore housing options, and learn more about the Columbus, Ohio area.
The Disciples Mission Fund is the common mission funding system of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Each of our regions, our general and racial/ethnic ministries, and our fourteen institutions of higher education and seven seminaries and divinity houses, need your continued support. Disciples Mission Fund is supported by your gifts and the four special day offerings of Easter, Pentecost, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Disciples Mission Fund dollars support:
- housing and food projects overseas
- provide for church camp
- leadership development
- spiritual care
- college scholarships
- theological education
- search and call
- ministries specific to our racial / ethnic constituencies
- support for Disciples Men and Women
- our ecumenical witness
- and so much more!
Your gifts to Disciples Mission Fund matter; they allow the Church’s witness for wholeness to be heard in over 90 countries and right here at home in the United States and Canada.
See how your gifts are used by the church.