You are invited to help bring attention to poverty and hunger issues in the U.S. political campaign; action suggested before Sept. 14
Circle of Protection, an ecumenical organization working to eradicate poverty, is mounting a campaign to bring poverty and hunger issues to the attention of the U.S. presidential candidates.
Nearly 500,000 Americans, motivated by their faith, have signed pledges telling the candidates that hunger and poverty are priority issues for them. Others have signed petitions asking the candidates to share their plans for offering help and opportunity to hungry and poor people in the United States and around the world. On Sept. 14, those names will be delivered to the Clinton and Trump campaigns. And they will also be given to NBC News anchor Lester Holt, with a plea to “ask the hunger and poverty question” when he moderates the first presidential debate on Sept. 26.
If you would like to add your voice, go to www.bread.org/pledge and sign the pledge. Only your name and zip code will be shared with the campaigns and debate moderators.
You are also welcome to tweet on the issue using the information below provided by Circle of Protection. Now until Sept. 15 you may tweet to/about the campaigns, calling for them to make the video on hunger and poverty that we have requested.(Clinton made one for the primaries, but a new one has been requested. Trump has yet to respond to the request.)
Twitter handles: @realDonaldTrump | @HIllaryClinton | @TheCofP
- Waiting for @realDonaldTrump to tell Christian leaders his plans for addressing hunger and poverty. @TheCofP #povertyvideos http://bit.ly/1WZJ1xD
- How will @realDonaldTrump offer help and opportunity to hungry and poor people? We have asked, but he hasn’t told us. @TheCofP #povertyvideos http://bit.ly/1WZJ1xD
- @Hillary Clinton & @RealDonaldTrump-Tell us your plans to “deliver the needy.” (Ps.72) #povertyvideos @TheCofP http://bit.ly/1WZJ1xD
Next Monday-Wednesday (Sept. 12-14), focus your tweets on the upcoming debates. Here are some ideas:
- It’s time for “the least of these” to find a place in the debates. @LesterHoltNBC, ask the poverty question on 9/26. @The CofP
- Millions of Christians are waiting to hear @RealDonaldTrump and @HillaryClinton talk about hunger and poverty. @LesterHoltNBC, ask the poverty question. @TheCofP
- 47 million Americans live in poverty. It’s time to talk about it. Let’s tell @LesterHoltNBC to ask the poverty question on 9/26. #debates @TheCofP