The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Florida is seeking to call a dynamic and energized ordained minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) to the position of Regional Minister. A Regional Profile and Position Description are posted on the Region’s Website available at www.fldisciples.org. Those who are prayerfully discerning their sense of call about this position will provide updated search and call paperwork in order to be considered. In addition, to help the Search Team get to know you better, send a Letter of Interest to the regional office addressed to: Regional Minister Search Committee Chairperson, Christian Church in Florida, c/o 6455 East Silver Springs Blvd. Silver Springs, FL 34488. The application deadline is July 31, 2017.
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Florida
Regional Minister Candidate Profile and Position Overview
FLORIDA DISCIPLES are seeking an inspirational and charismatic Regional Minister to guide us into the future by providing leadership, wisdom, and resource management in the following areas:
- Offering pastoral care to all of our region’s ministers, chaplains, program directors, as well as our 77 congregations.
- Revitalizing existing congregations and planting new church starts.
- Facilitating communication within the region and amongst member ministry sites. This is challenging as the region, stretching from the city of Homestead in the south to the Gainesville/Jacksonville area in the north, is 500 miles long.
- Encouraging and enabling congregations to collaborate and share resources among themselves in a variety of ways including traditional face to face meetings, workshops, assemblies, etc.; as well as electronic/digital communications, teleconferencing, video conferencing, etc.
- Building relationships among the beautiful diversity of African-American, Anglo, Haitian and Hispanic congregations that exist in our region.
- Culturally, economically, and theologically diverse congregations are one of our region’s greatest strengths—and one of our greatest challenges.
- Providing administration and oversight to the regional office, staff, and finances.
We are committed to following an imaginative leader who will help us find ways to be faithful to God’s call in today’s postmodern world. This individual will assist us in identifying new and creative ways to carry out regional ministry in the midst of familiar challenges such as declining membership and finances, concerns about denominational loyalty and misunderstandings about why churches need to collaborate as a region.
While we, like most Disciples of Christ regions, have struggled to adapt to the well-documented challenges facing mainline churches, we also have much to celebrate. Thanks be to God for:
- Our profitable Retreat at Silver Springs (The Retreat is our brand for the Disciples Camp and Conference Center in Silver Springs, FL).
- The Retreat provides outstanding and affordable facilities for Disciples events, summer youth camps, and other non-Disciples activities.
- Mary Beth Harper is the Director of The Retreat, and lives on the property.
- To create a more mobile Regional Ministry, the offices of the Regional Minister, Associate Regional Minister, and Administrative Assistant are also located at The Retreat.
- Florida Disciples are strong in lay leadership, with a dedicated core of people committed to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
- As an example of the rich faith life that comes through celebrating God’s diversity, our congregations represent the full diversity of God’s creation. We have congregations that are predominantly African-American, Anglo, Haitian, and Hispanic. We also are blessed to have some that are multi-cultural and bi-lingual.
- Transitional teams have created building blocks to give direction for our region’s growth and transformation. Among the work done by these teams is redesign of our Regional Board and its representation. The redesign is intended to broaden regional representation and bring all of our churches into the decision-making processes.
The Florida Disciples Regional Church is excited about exploring what God is calling us to be and do today. We are committed to supporting a Regional Minister who will call us into that conversation and encourage us to seek transformational change. We know that this will be challenging, but we are committed to doing the difficult work our faith requires and Christ commands.