Here are a few random beginning thoughts as I begin to work on a sermon from John 1:43-51.
- The Twitter cartoon: Jesus under a tree with a young person, “No, not Twitter. Really – follow me. . . “
- Nathaniel’s “can anything good come . . .” the current skepticism re Christianity: hypocrisy, hateful, judgmental . . . landscape for mission in 21st century
- Phillip – issuing the invitation (as we have to – going out) but the invitation to see Jesus not the church – change from last century – again 21st century landscape
- Jesus – an Israelite in whom there is no deceit . . . – need for open conversation on tough matters?
- What does the conversation between Nathaniel and Jesus in vv. 48-51 even mean?
What are your thoughts on this passage? Will you join me in a discussion on this passage?Read more