“I consider the sufferings of this present time not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God.” Romans 8:18 – 19. NRSV
Dear beloved Disciples,
We are hurting.
We are haunted and outraged by the anguished cries of George Floyd, the gasp of “I can’t breathe” as a police officer knelt on his neck until the breath was completely taken from him. Floyd’s murder, like that of Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery in recent weeks, is just the latest in a long history of violence against Black and Brown people in our country. The protests that are happening in big cities and small towns across the nation are an outpouring of grief and anger born of centuries of pain and injustice.
As members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), we condemn this injustice. We weep not only for George Floyd, but for the entire system of oppression that has kept us from seeing each other as beloved children of God.
Racism and the denial of human dignity is counter to the call of Jesus Christ. Racism is a sin that breaks the heart of God.
Disciples, we call ourselves a Pro-Reconciling, Anti-Racist church. We have named it as a mission priority, and we have worked hard – though often imperfectly – to live that out in every expression of our ministry. In this moment, when protests rage and our hearts are broken again and again, we need to be the church we say we are.
We know that this moment calls for more than statements and prayers. In this moment, God is calling us to act.
We invite you to accept this call to action in one or more of these ways:
- Add your name to this statement affirming your commitment to Pro-Reconciliation and Anti-Racism as a mission priority of our church. (form below)
- Educate yourself about the history of systemic racism in this country and the ways racial injustice impacts every bit of our life together, from education and health care to jails and courtrooms and financial institutions. There are many good resources for learning; we’ve consolidated some of them HERE and will keep this page updated regularly.
- Sign up to participate in the Mass Poor People’s Assembly and Moral March on Washington: A Digital Justice Gathering on June 20, 2020. This event is part of an effort that seeks to address the interlocking injustices of systemic racism and poverty, and Disciples have been key leaders in this movement.
- Join in town hall discussions hosted by Disciples leaders about how the church can do more to help dismantle systems of racism. These virtual gatherings will be held later this summer; be sure to sign up for Disciples News Service email updates for more information.
- Get to work in your own community or church. Each context is different, so work where you are and with what you have. We want to hear from you about what you’re doing. Send a photo, video, or short paragraph describing what you’re doing to email@example.com, or tag us on social media (Facebook and Instagram: @christianchurchdoc; Twitter: @DisciplesNews) with #ccdoc. We’ll share those stories here so we can support and inspire one another in this hard, holy calling.
Something is happening right now, Church, and the Spirit of God is moving in it. May we be bold enough to join the work.
Yours in Christ,
Rev. Terri Hord Owens, General Minister and President
Rev. April Johnson, Minister of Reconciliation
Yes, I affirm our Disciples commitment to being a pro-reconciling, anti-racist Church.
Displaying 101 - 150 of 1,625
|Name||Congregation Name||City, State|
|Mr. Brian Gibson||University Christian Church||Fort Worth, Texas|
|Beth Rodzinski||University Christian Church||Fort Worth, TX|
|Sue & Alan Winter||University Christian Church||Ft. Worth, Texas|
|Rev. Jeanne Duke||University Christian Church||Fort Worth, TX|
|Rev. Neil Topliffe||Central Christian Church||Grand Rapids, MI|
|Ms. Loretta Rucker||New Vision Christian Church||Birmingham, AL|
|Mr. Charles Love||First Christian Church, Huntsville, Al.||Huntsville, Alabama|
|Dennis Bettenhausen||Olivet Christian Church||Columbia, Missouri|
|Marilyn Bettenhausen||Olivet Christian Church||Columbia, Missouri|
|Mrs. Mary Beth Cascio||First Christian Church||Wadsworth ,, Ohio|
|Susan Lydic||Hyde Park Christian Church||Austin, Texas|
|Rev. Fred Erickson||Red Top Christian Church, Hallsville, MO||Columbia, MO|
|Rev. Gene Fisher||Good Shepherd Christian||Macedonia, OH|
|Ms. Marilyn McCreary||Broadway Christian Church||Columbia, Missouri|
|Michelle Varner||First Christian Church||Corvallis, Oregon|
|Charles Varner||First Christian Church||Corvallis, Oregon|
|Dr. Natalie Sydorenko||First Christian Church, Wadsworth, OH||Wadsworth, Ohio|
|Dr. Cheryl L Tatham||Northh Chevy Chase Christian Church||Chevy Chase, MD|
|Mrs. Jennifer Thorne-Lehman||Monte Vista Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO|
|Rev. Teresa Dulyea-Parker||First||Bloomington, Illinois|
|Mrs. Ann Langley||First Christian||Birmingham, Alabama|
|Rev. Donna Cooney||United Church UCC-DOC||St. Augustine, FL|
|Mrs. Lourdes Garcia||Segunda Iglesia Cristiana Discipulos de Cristo||BRONX, New York|
|Rev. James Gearhart||Retired||Paducah, Kentucky|
|Mr. James Thomas||Niles Discovery Church||Fremont, CA|
|Ms. Joan Herron||Eureka Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Eureka, IL|
|Barbara McLay||Broadway Christian Church||Columbia, MO|
|Mrs. Janice Maxwell||Mt. Calvary Missionary Christian||Tuskegee, AL|
|Lori Bryant||First Christian Church Tucson||Tucson, AZ|
|Kathryn Frus||Memorial Christian Church||Peoria, IL|
|Dr. Michael Dunn||First Christian Houston||Houston, TX|
|Rev. Kent Deubner||First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||PLEASANT HILL, MO|
|Dr. Linda Wassenich||Midway Hills Christian Church||Dallas, TX|
|Ms. Cindy Skelley||First Christian Church, DOC||Burlington, Ia|
|Rev. Dan Barton||South Baldwin Christian Church||Foley, Alsbama|
|Mr. Tommy Cole||Warren Avenue Christian. Church||Dallas, TX.|
|Sue Seward||First Christian Church||Huntsville, AL|
|Mr. David Digby||First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Ames, IA|
|Rev. Robert Davis||First Christian Church||Tuscaloosa, Alabama|
|Nancy Piech||Springfield CheistianChurch||Rockville, Va|
|Rev. Amber Churchill||Irving North Christian Church||Irving, TX|
|Hyacinth Hall||University Christian Church||Fort Worth, Texas|
|Dr. Kenneth Hall||University Christian Church||Fort Worth, Texas|
|Rev. Ailsa Guardiola Gonzalez||First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Tucson, AZ|
|Dr. Alan Lobaugh||Azle Christian Church||Azle, TX|
|Patricia Freeman||Springfield Christian Church||Springfield, Virginia|
|Rev. Claudia Grant||Central Christian||Indianapolis, IN.|
|Rev. Douglas Cripe||Central Christian Church & First Christian Church||Elkhart, IN|
|Rev. John Mobley||Grace Christian Church||Helena, Alabama|
|Kevin Alcorn||Light of the World Christian Church||Indianapolis, Indiana|
|Name||Congregation Name||City, State|