The National Convocation of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Board of Trustees has begun the search for the position of Interim Administrative Secretary. The Interim Administrative Secretary will provide the leadership, management and vision necessary to undergird the ministries of the National Convocation of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) (NCCC) and the National Christian Missionary Convention (NCMC) for a two-year period (December 2020 – December 2022). He/she under the direction of the Board of Trustees, will work collaboratively to facilitate the entire work of the NCCC and the NCMC and will be responsible for the prudent, efficient operation of both. The position is guided by the objectives and mission of the NCCC & the NCMC.
The qualified candidate will demonstrate proven congregational and/or regional ministry experience, senior level leadership experience and a strong history of organizational and fiduciary management, including some experience of organizational restructure and mediation/conflict management. The candidate will have a knowledge of the NCCC, the NCMC and other structures within the black church. Ideally, the candidate will have a bachelor’s degree, an MDiv or higher and have standing with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Administer the work of the National Convocation office including the management of all funds, including corporation funds.
- Develop consultative procedure designed to provide adequate and effective structures, programs and services for African American congregations in the various General Administrative units and regions of the church
- Develop the operational and biennial session budget; when approved, implement.
- Serve as a member of the Board of the National Christian Missionary Convention, serve as corporate secretary and maintain custody of the corporate seal
- Serve on or resource all committees, boards and commissions of the Convocation.
- Develop plans for board and executive committee meetings in consultation with the president
- Initiate planning for each Biennial Session Assembly. Following approval of the plan, execute as directed by the Board.
- Review the work of the manager of Greenwood Cemetery
- Serve as ex-officio member of the Division of Homeland Ministries/Disciples Home Missions (DHM) Board and, in conjunction with the (DHM) president, evaluate Merger staff.
- Develop and promote a communication strategy that will include social media and print/web media such as Selah.
Targeted Duties and Responsibilities for 2020-2022
- Maintain and build relationships with African-American congregations and state convocations/fellowship/conventions
- Provide clarity on board work and governance to the boards of the NCCC and NCMC.
- Administer an assessment on the NCCC & NCMC and create a Final Report on the assessment
- Commitment to spiritual practice and developoment
- Servant leader
- Passion for justice
- Empower others
- Strategic thinker
- Business acumen/financial analysis
- Team builder
- Technologically competent
- Able to utilize current and new forms of social media
- Ability to interact with multiple generations
- Communication proficiency – written & verbal
- Problem solving/shows initiative
Reports to: Boards of both NCCC and NCMC and the Executive Committee of each.
Supervises: Office personnel, Merger staff in cooperation with DHM president; also directs Local Arrangement Committees.
Works with: General Minister and President, Greenwood Cemetery Manager, Program staff of General and Regional units, Missionary Conventions/Fellowships/Convocations, and Black Disciples Endowment Fund (BDEF).
Others: Convention bureaus, hotels and various vendors.
- To evaluate staff, make recommendations for improved performance, recommend dismissal and provide input in hiring new personnel
- To approve unbudgeted purchase requests as authorized by the board.
To the Executive Committee and Board of the National Convocation of the Christian Church and the National Christian Missionary Convention.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position that regularly requires travel.
This position requires extensive travel.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree, Master of Divinity (MDIV) and/or terminal degree strongly preferred and current standing with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Anti-Racism/Pro-Reconciliation Training
- Proven congregational and/or regional ministry experience
- Proven senior-level leadership experience including financial oversight
Desired Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Mediation/Conflict Management Trained or Certified
- Meeting Planner Certified
All recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and other employment related programs are provided fairly to all persons on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law; Employment decisions are based on the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Location & Length of Position
- Start Date: December 1, 2020
- End Date: December 31, 2022
A highly competitive compensation package to include pension and health benefits, vacation and sick leave.
How to apply:
Please submit the following no later than March 31, 2020 to NCCCSEARCH2020@gmail.com;
- Letter of Interest and CV
- Audio/Video of a recent sermon or presentation
- A 1-2-page statement in response to the question: What is the importance of the role of the Administrative Secretary in the context of the Black Church in the Disciples of Christ?
Please ensure that your search and call papers are current with the office of Search and Call in Disciples Home Missions.