Immigration Response Specialist, Central Pastoral Office for Hispanic Ministries (Obra Hispana), Disciples Refugee and Immigration Ministries, and the Christian Church Capital Area Region of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada
Applications due by 4:00 PM EST, June 7, 2019
Working in collaboration, the Obra Hispana, Refugee and Immigration Ministries, and the Christian Church Capital Area Region are working to increase the capacity within the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) to faithfully fulfill God’s call to welcome, support, and advocate with affected immigrant communities against growing anxieties, family separations, and injustices which, if not addressed, will continue to negatively impact generations to come.
The Immigration Response Specialist will provide intensive, intentional direct action with congregations and immigrant led community partners which aims to increase awareness, equip congregations and individuals, and increase outreach to immigrants; thus creating long-term change for addressing critical and emergent needs for refugee/immigrant families and individuals.
The Immigration Response Specialist will help prepare and grow congregations in the “Immigrant Welcoming Congregations” movement as approved at the Disciples General Assembly 2017, through GA-1723. The Specialist provide intensive outreach to congregations to increase the number of congregations and individuals who are now actively engaged in accompanying, supporting, and advocating with families and individuals negatively impacted by the immigration crisis and facing potential family separations and deportation.
The essential candidate will possess knowledge of present immigration policies, have experience working with immigrant and refugee communities and in advocacy/community outreach/organizing, and will be fully bilingual (English/Spanish) with the ability to read, write and communicate verbally. Candidate will also have the ability to effectively communicate through a variety of methods, including public speaking, social media, and email.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Specific tasks include three main focus areas underlined below, but not limited to:
- Increase awareness that prepares our congregations to build the spiritual practices, healing, knowledge, and partnerships necessary to grow the “Immigrant Welcoming Congregations” movement, and to strengthen our collective voices and commitments to relationships and work for justice with immigrants.
- Equip individuals and congregations to actively engage in the advocacy, networks, and hands on mission work with immigrants to break the chains that continue to bind immigrant communities to fear, anxiety, family separation and injustice which are creating a negative impact on the quality of life for generations to come.
- Expand the outreach to and accompaniment with affected refugee and immigrant families and individuals experiencing separation due to detention or deportation.
In fulfilling the above key tasks, the Immigration Response Specialist will be expected to:
- Participate in advocacy and education efforts that support immigrants and refugees.
- Support and help train congregations learning how to raise their public voices of faith as immigrants and in solidarity with immigrants; through vigils, press conferences, legislative visits, etc.
- Offer guidance and partnership to congregations in planning and engaging in local and/or state and national events and actions that promote solutions to issues and anxieties faced by immigrants.
- Build upon and expand the existing network and relationships with immigrant-led community organizations.
- Help expand the ability of immigrant individuals and their families to share direct stories of impact.
- Generate reports for partners as requested, including data that demonstrates advancement towards meeting established goals.
- Help create/share/translate promotional e-mails, social media messaging, and educational content for communication with Disciples immigrant led, immigrant serving, and other congregations.
- Promote photo and immigrant/refugee story collection and archives of image files.
- Support video conference calls, webinars and other electronic meetings as necessary.
This position will be supervised by the Director of Refugee and Immigration Ministries, Rev. Dr. Sharon Stanley-Rea.
This position will be an employee of the Central Pastoral Office for Hispanic Ministries; which serves as fiscal agent for the program.
Full-time (until end of 2020)
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree, with higher level preferred in related field.
- Spanish language reading, writing, oral fluency
- 2-4 years of experience working with immigrant communities preferred
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Proficiency with electronic and social media communication
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills
- Experience in a ministry or non-profit environment
- Knowledge of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) polity and ethos
Please submit resume and letter of interest to email@example.com no later than 4:00 EST, Friday, June 7, 2019. For questions please contact Rev. Lori Tapia at 317-289-8535 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the term “Immigration Response Specialist” in the subject line.