Job Description: Chief of Staff, Office of the General Minister and President, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
All applicants must apply online by August 31, 2018.
The chief of staff position provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the OGMP has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively support the OGMP in its ministry and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. The position accomplishes this through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the objectives and mission of the OGMP of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Monitor, upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, standards, and procedures;
- Facilitate HR Best Practices across the OGMP.
- Support the General Minister and President with project management;
- Staff committees, task forces etc. including General Assembly Committee, General Nominating Committee, and others;
- Serve as the point of contact between OGMP, CCS and Building management, managing the building operations;
- Coordinate OGMP’s responsibilities for CCS including front desk receptionist, mail services, maintenance and scheduling;
- Oversee supply procurement;
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the GMP informed of all critical issues;
- Support the GMP to ensure that OGMP is adhering to the annual (biennial) goals and objectives; and
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in convention and contract negotiations.
- Coordinate General Assembly planning process including convening staff, managing timelines, supervising the Local Arrangements Committee, etc.;
- Direct ministry partner communication;
Convene senior staff for planning meetings such as General Assembly, General Board, Administrative Committee, etc.
- Provide critical thinking and decision making as a chief advisor to the General Minister and President;
- Represent the General Minister and President on boards, committees and commissions as called upon;
- Collaborate, as needed, with congregations, regions and general ministries;
- Participate in staff meetings, moderator calls, etc.
- Demonstrate the values of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) when working with others.
- High Level of Confidentiality
- Servant Leadership
- Passion for Justice
- Faith/ Fellowship
- Empowerment of Others
- Project Management
- Strategic Thinker
- Business Acumen
- Business Analytics/Financial Analysis
- Change Agent
- Communication Proficiency – Written & Verbal
- Decision Making/ Results Driven
- Problem Solving/ Initiative
This position is directly responsible for the operations team and reports directly to The General Minister and President.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. This position regularly requires long hours and some travel.
This position requires some travel.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s degree preferred; in business administration, human resource management, theology (MDiv, MA, MTS or equivalent) or operations.
- 10 or more years of experience managing non-profit, religious organizations.
- Knowledge of The Christian Church, human resources laws and regulations, impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills, employee relations skills, and proven track record of effectively interacting with senior leadership.
Desired Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Member of The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
All recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and other employment related programs are provided fairly to all persons on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law; Employment decisions are based on the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.