The Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean at Phillips Theological Seminary is the chief academic officer of the institution and as such holds a critical and unique position in the seminary’s governance as it is shared by the board of trustees, the administration, and the faculty. This person also interfaces with primary constituents of the seminary, including the churches and denominations served by students and alumni. Primary responsibilities for this position include directing all academic educational programming of the seminary and developing and leading the faculty and academic staff in ensuring the excellence of degree program curricula and student services.
In addition, the VP/Dean’s office includes personnel related to recruitment and admissions, student services, library, communal worship, and other academic support services.
The Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean:
- Administers the work of the faculty by chairing the Faculty Senate and resourcing its committees
- Oversees all aspects of curricular planning, implementation, and assessment
- Develops, supports, and evaluates all faculty teaching in degree programs (regular and adjunct) and in various formats
- Leads faculty initiatives in curricular development and revision for all degree programs
- Ensures compliance with federal and state regulations pertaining to higher education, oversees adherence to any academic consortia agreements or other academic partnerships in which the seminary participates, and serves as chief academic accreditation officer for the seminary
- Serves as a bridge between administration, faculty, and board of trustees as advocate for best practices in faculty development and teaching and learning in theological education and as representative of various viewpoints within the seminary community and the churches and organizations with which it is connected
- Administers the Academic Affairs office, including budgeting, supervising academic affairs personnel, giving oversight to the production of academic handbooks, course schedules, and catalogs
- Represents the seminary in congregational, denominational, ecumenical, and multireligious settings.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Proven experience in teaching adults in graduate theological education
- Understanding of and participation in ecumenical denominations and ministries
- Hands-on knowledge of outcomes assessment in individual coursework, curricular programs, and institutional learning
- Experience in academic administration, including budgeting, personnel supervision, and compliance and assessment reporting
- Knowledge and appreciation of a variety of pedagogical methods and formats, including online education
- Strong capacity to work with people of diverse backgrounds, races and ethnicities, sexual orientations, gender identities, educational experiences, and socioeconomic status
- Proven abilities to to initiate, support, and lead change and academic program innovation.
This position supervises all academic affairs staff including dean of the library, dean of students, executive assistant to the dean and faculty, DMin director, and assistant/associate deans.
Required Education and Experience
- PhD or ThD in a theological discipline
- At least 5 years experience as a faculty member in an ATS accredited seminary
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Full participation in a church affiliated with a mainline denomination, i.e., the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the United Church of Christ, the United Methodist Church, etc.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Administrative Pay Family
Please email a cover letter expressing interest in the position, being as specific as you can, and detailing relevant professional experience, education, and training, along with a resume or CV, including the names and contact information of at least three professional references to email@example.com.