Disciples Home Missions’ Refugee and Immigration Ministries (RIM) invites congregations to participate in Refugee and Immigrant Welcome Sunday on June 18, 2017. This event is an occasion for congregations to celebrate their community’s welcome for refugees and immigrants.
RIM provides a toolkit of resources for joining this celebration on their website, including the following:
- Join the #ToImmigrantsWithLove letter writing campaign. Individuals and groups can write electronic letters and record videos to immigrants, and share support and solidarity for immigrants to the U.S.
- Display welcome signs on church and family yards to share spirit of welcome in communities
- Send postcards to legislators at all levels of government to share how refugees enrich communities
- Learn more about becoming a Sanctuary Congregation to support refugees and immigrants
- Read resources like The Immigrants Creed and Welcome Chants, and use in worship services
- Register your service or event with Church World Service’s #GreaterAs1 site to join their interactive map of participating congregations
- Use hashtags like #GreaterAs1, #WithRefugees and #DOCWeAreOne to share welcoming messages across communities
Disciples can continue to lift up refugee and immigrant contributions and challenges, throughout the month of June (June 20 is the United Nations’ World Refugee Day).
Disciples also joined with all other Church World Service and National Council of Churches partner communions in March 2017 to issue an “Ecumenical Declaration: Protecting Welcome, Restoring Hope” in support of refugees and immigrants.
For more information about RIM and the Welcome Sunday on June 18, visit RIM’s website.