On April 12, Disciples Home Missions hosted other Disciple Center staff for a celebration of Earth Day with everything from fun facts to gummi worms and beautiful plants. Green Chalice provided the following ideas for living a little “greener.”
16 Things You Can Do To Walk More Gently on the Earth
- Carry your own cup or water bottle and forgo disposable cups, lids, & straws in restaurants.
- Keep a “to-go” container in your car for your restaurant leftovers.
- Carpool, bike, or walk.
- Never wait in the car with the engine idling.
- Limit shower times to 5 minutes or less.
- Line dry your laundry in the sun.
- Use recyclables like paper, metal, plastic & glass for crafts. Repurpose t-shirts into quilts & rugs.
- Create a compost pile in your backyard.
- Use reusable shopping bags.
- Buy bulk food (less packaging).
- Shop at consignment & used clothing stores.
- Buy local food at farmer’s markets or Coop groceries.
- Go without meat (at least) one day each week.
- Plant something – herbs, vegetables, or trees.
- Put out a bird feeder.
- Move through your day with your eyes wide open. Pay attention to how much trash one meal at a fast food restaurant or one grocery store run creates. Look for places in your life that you can reduce,
reuse, and recycle.