The Disciples Center in Indianapolis was forced to close on Tuesday, April 5, 2011, following a small early-morning fire that resulted in limited smoke damage. It is expected to be open for business tomorrow.
Fire trucks blocked off the street about 6:45 a.m. outside the building, located at 130-132 E. Washington St. The facility has been undergoing upgrades to its heating and air conditioning systems. It is believed the fire was caused by smoldering insulation, probably on the 8th floor, where a welder had been working in an encased interior smokestack.
The Indianapolis Fire Department was called to the building twice last night after reports of a small fire in the insulation, but had given the all clear signal until this morning’s incident.
The Disciples Center serves as the General Office of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), which counts about 3,700 churches in the United States and Canada among its membership. Other tenants include the State of Indiana and several athletic associations. Between 500-600 employees work at the site.
The building is owned by Perennial Washington, LLC.
Contact: Wanda Bryant Wills