THE MISSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving from our doorsteps "to the ends of the earth.
THE VISION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice.
THE CONFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
As members of the Christian Church, we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world.
(Preamble to The Design)
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) contains many ministries that work in covenant to resource congregations for mission and ministry. Please use the links below to explore their web sites.
- ‘Give me your tired, your poor…’ (11/20/2015) - It hits hard that one of the first Syrian families turned away in the new wave of fear following the Paris attacks was a family coming to Indiana. They were part of the long-standing processes shepherded by Church World Service (CWS) in partnership with federal government screenings. Many Christian denominations, including my own, have partnered...
- Hamlett to step down, Adams named senior VP (11/19/2015) - (Indianapolis, IN) James P. Hamlett, 8th President of the Pension Fund of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) announced that he will retire effective August 31, 2016. Hamlett has served as President since January 1, 2004. He will be succeeded as president by the Reverend Dr. Todd A. Adams, who was called to be Senior...
- Watkins installed as chair of National Council of Churches of Christ (11/18/2015) - During a ceremony Nov. 17, General Minister and President Sharon Watkins was installed as the chair of the board for the National Council of Churches of Christ (NCCC) for 2016. Watkins has been serving as vice chair for the past year. The Rev. Dr. Rick Lowery preached the sermon. “I am honored to join a...
- Disciples, UCC make joint statement on refugees (11/17/2015) - Not Terrorists; Not Tourists: Refugees are Human Beings I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” 37Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and...
- November Terror in Paris (11/14/2015) - “I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the Lord.”- Psalm 118:17 Beloved in Christ, Once again we grieve – for lives tragically cut short in Paris and Beirut - and for our own sense of security which is lost to us for awhile. We pray for the victims and...
- Guest Blog: Disciples speak up for shared Eucharist at Catholic conference (11/10/2015) - by Rev. Dr. Robert Welsh, president, Council on Christian Unity Note: Robert Welsh, president of the Council on Christian Unity, represented the Disciples of Christ at the 14th General Synod of Bishops of the Roman Catholic Church in Rome on October 4-24, 2015. He was one of only 14 ecumenical representatives (identified as “fraternal delegates”)...
- Watkins included in TIME book (11/2/2015) - TIME Books includes an essay by Sharon Watkins in What Did Jesus Ask? - Christian Leaders Reflect on His Questions of Faith. As a teacher, Jesus Christ put many of his lessons in the form of questions. The gospels recorded some 100 others. Some are rhetorical, needing no answer, but most were real questions posed...
- Administrative Committee meets, tests pilot (10/29/2015) - The Mission First! pilot got under way with the meeting of the Administrative Committee (AC) in Indianapolis Oct. 23-25. Led by the new moderator team elected in Columbus - Moderator Tony Rodriguez (Florida), First Vice Moderator Tom Perring (Pacific Southwest), Second Vice Moderator Mary Lou Kegler (Greater Kansas City) and Moderator Elect Sue Morris (Nebraska)...
- Former Arizona regional minister dies (10/26/2015) - Rev. Dr. Gail F. Davis (Oct. 16, 1932 – Oct. 22, 2015) passed away at his home in Spokane, WA. Born in Mission, SD and raised in Spokane, WA, he attended Northwest Christian College. He married his high school sweetheart Eva in 1953. She survives. After he graduated in 1957, he was ordained in the...
- On the Canadian elections of 2015… (10/22/2015) - We are Disciples of Christ – in Canada and the United States. Elections in Canada this week indicate that change is in the air. An unusually large turn-out at the polls ends one party’s decade of dominance and begins a new era with a new set of priorities. Early indications are that those priorities will...
Visit the General Assembly web site to see the results of business and more.
The Disciples Mission Fund is the common mission funding system of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Each of our regions, our general and racial/ethnic ministries, and our fourteen institutions of higher education and seven seminaries and divinity houses, need your continued support. Disciples Mission Fund is supported by your gifts and the four special day offerings of Easter, Pentecost, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Disciples Mission Fund dollars support:
- housing and food projects overseas
- provide for church camp
- leadership development
- spiritual care
- college scholarships
- theological education
- search and call
- ministries specific to our racial / ethnic constituencies
- support for Disciples Men and Women
- our ecumenical witness
- and so much more!
Your gifts to Disciples Mission Fund matter; they allow the Church’s witness for wholeness to be heard in over 90 countries and right here at home in the United States and Canada.
See how your gifts are used by the church.