THE MISSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving from our doorsteps "to the ends of the earth.
THE VISION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice.
THE CONFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
As members of the Christian Church, we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world.
(Preamble to The Design)
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) contains many ministries that work in covenant to resource congregations for mission and ministry. Please use the links below to explore their web sites.
- Disciples share programs (5/27/2015) - By Will Jewsbury, First Christian Church, Kokomo, Becky Sundquist, South Side Christian Church and Chuck Armstrong, Northview Christian Church Shared ministry programs do far more than ease the burden on a few overworked leaders. They remind us that we are part of a great fellowship of Disciples in our own communities and beyond. For Kokomo...
- Tulsa kindergarten gardeners learn lessons at urban garden (5/5/2015) - Kindergarten classes from Lewis and Clark Elementary School, StoneSoup, and Phillips Theological Seminary students and staff met up May 6 for a tour of Seeds of Hope, a community garden adjacent to the seminary. (Photos are from a classroom visit previewing the field trip.) The Seeds of Hope community garden was planted in order to...
- Poisonous threads of racism (5/1/2015) - This blog entry originally appeared in TIME Ideas. Recently I posted a prayer. It was in response to the events in Baltimore: a young black man is mortally injured while in police custody. Citizens take to the streets. On the day of the funeral, the protests turn violent. My prayer was for all: those who...
- Disciples lead, witness at Ecumenical Advocacy Days 2015 (5/1/2015) - By April Johnson, minister of reconciliation “The United States is a mere five percent of the world population yet it hosts 25 percent of the world’s prison population.” On more than one occasion this statistic was invoked to frame the content of the captivating plenary sessions, workshops and fellowship opportunities at this year’s annual Ecumenical...
- RFRA follow-up letter sent to Indiana governor (4/24/2015) - April 24, 2015 The Honorable Michael R. Pence Governor of the State of Indiana 200 W. Washington Street, Room 206 Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 Governor Pence: We have seen the huge new banner in the Indianapolis airport proclaiming “Indy Welcomes All.” We read in the Indianapolis Star that you declared on April 14, “I think the...
- Pension Fund seeks senior vice-president/president-elect (4/21/2015) - The Board of Directors of the Pension Fund of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Inc. is seeking candidates and candidate recommendations for the position of Senior Vice-President/President Elect. This position has been created to serve a transitional role in conjunction with the retirement of the current president, following which the President Elect will become...
- Church leaders speak up about Iran (4/13/2015) - This advertisement was submitted to various media outlets by Sojourners on April 13, 2015.
- Message from Sharon re: 2017 Assembly (4/13/2015) - April 13, 2015 Dear Disciples, The General Board has determined that the 2017 General Assembly should take place in Indianapolis “as a continued witness for wholeness”. Two weeks ago, the board authorized a move away from Indianapolis due to a new Indiana law called The Religious Freedom Restoration Act (SEA101 or RFRA). This law raised...
- General Board chooses city for 2017 General Assembly (4/13/2015) - Media contact: Cherilyn Williams | email@example.com April 13, 2015 The General Board of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), meeting in Kansas City, MO, on April 13, has selected Indianapolis for the 2017 General Assembly. The board had determined on March 31 to seek a new venue after the March 25 signing of the Religious...
- Ministries rally around Mississippi church (4/13/2015) - Real Faith Christian Church in Clarksdale, MS, had fallen victim to a string of disasters during a building project. Several Disciple ministries banded together to help get Real Faith into a fully renovated building for Easter Sunday. Partnerships included many, many individuals and groups from across the life of Disciples marshaled by Disciples Volunteering, staff...
Plans for the 2015 General Assembly are underway! The theme, "Soar!" is based on Isaiah 40. Comfort, preparation, call, challenge – all are contained in this single chapter. And there is also the promise of fresh strength to SOAR!
Visit the General Assembly web site to learn more about the theme, explore housing options, and learn more about the Columbus, Ohio area.
The Disciples Mission Fund is the common mission funding system of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Each of our regions, our general and racial/ethnic ministries, and our fourteen institutions of higher education and seven seminaries and divinity houses, need your continued support. Disciples Mission Fund is supported by your gifts and the four special day offerings of Easter, Pentecost, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Disciples Mission Fund dollars support:
- housing and food projects overseas
- provide for church camp
- leadership development
- spiritual care
- college scholarships
- theological education
- search and call
- ministries specific to our racial / ethnic constituencies
- support for Disciples Men and Women
- our ecumenical witness
- and so much more!
Your gifts to Disciples Mission Fund matter; they allow the Church’s witness for wholeness to be heard in over 90 countries and right here at home in the United States and Canada.
See how your gifts are used by the church.