THE MISSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving from our doorsteps "to the ends of the earth.
THE VISION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice.
THE CONFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
As members of the Christian Church, we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world.
(Preamble to The Design)
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) contains many ministries that work in covenant to resource congregations for mission and ministry. Please use the links below to explore their web sites.
- Disciples of Christ Historical Society breaks ground for new archive (10/7/2015) - On Friday, Oct. 2, the board of the Disciples of Christ Historical Society celebrated new beginnings in a historic place. With the groundbreaking for a new archive facility, complete with greetings from Hal and Evelyn Watkins, DCHS is on its way for a planned fall 2016 opening of the facility. Read the full newspaper story...
- Moral Monday Movement leader receives Roosevelt ‘Four Freedoms’ award (9/29/2015) - On Tuesday, Sept. 29, the Roosevelt Foundation presented awards to five laureates including the Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II, pastor of Green Leaf Christian Church in Goldsboro, NC and leader of the Moral Monday Movement. Other honorees included Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg with the Freedom Medal. The foundation annually honors those who...
- Pennsylvania congregation works to feed 10,000 (9/29/2015) - People participating in the Sayre Christian Church’s Fall Festival to Impact Hunger, Saturday, Sept. 19, were not only there to have fun, but also to help children in third-world countries and in the Valley dealing with hunger. Pastor Kevin Arensman said church members were looking at ways they could help people, both locally and beyond,...
- Illinois church partners to upgrade service to community (9/29/2015) - By Frank Hungerford, email@example.com Lynnville, IL – Resurrection is taking on a whole new meaning for the members of Lynnville Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). After accepting that making the many needed repairs and upgrades of its current building, erected in 1919, were not a wise investment of the financial resources of this small, but...
- President of Disciples Home Missions speaks at Capitol Hill press conference (9/28/2015) - On Monday, Sept. 28, Rev. Ron Degges, president of Disciples Home Missions, spoke at a faith leaders press conference on Syrian refugees. In his comments, Degges noted Disciples' historic faith commitments to acceptance of the world’s most vulnerable, despite their religious backgrounds. Here are excerpts from his planned statement: I am grateful to be a...
- Faith leaders place ad supporting papal message (9/25/2015) - This full-page advertisement was placed in the New York Times during Pope Francis' visit as a welcome and support of his message to care for our common home. If you would like to join in the call for climate action, you can go to up-to-us.net Click to see full ad
- Creation waits (9/25/2015) - a meditation offered at the interfaith service on Care for Creation Thursday, Sept. 24, at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. My name is Sharon Watkins. I serve as General Minister and President of a historic Protestant denomination called the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ.) I look out over the Congo River. Underneath its languid...
- U.S. faith leaders send letter to Congress on eve of papal visit (9/17/2015) - “An authentic faith, always involves a deep desire to change the world, to transmit values, to leave this earth somehow better that we found it. We love this magnificent planet on which God has put us, and we love the human family which dwells here, with all its tragedies and struggles, its hopes and aspirations,...
- Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Canada seeks regional minister (9/15/2015) - The Regional Minister is a full-time ministry position serving the congregations and pastors in the three areas of the Christian Church (Disciple of Christ) in Canada (CCIC). The Regional Minister will be accountable to the CCIC Board of Directors and through that body, to the areas and congregations within Canada. A successful candidate will be...
- Blessed Tomorrow organizing climate challenge around papal visit (9/14/2015) - Pope Francis has done much to bring the issues of climate change to the fore in the media, particularly with his encyclical on the subject. Blessed Tomorrow, a coalition of faith communities and leaders concerned with climate change, is putting together several events in the coming weeks around the pope’s visit to the U.S. Congress....
Visit the General Assembly web site to see the results of business and more.
The Disciples Mission Fund is the common mission funding system of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Each of our regions, our general and racial/ethnic ministries, and our fourteen institutions of higher education and seven seminaries and divinity houses, need your continued support. Disciples Mission Fund is supported by your gifts and the four special day offerings of Easter, Pentecost, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Disciples Mission Fund dollars support:
- housing and food projects overseas
- provide for church camp
- leadership development
- spiritual care
- college scholarships
- theological education
- search and call
- ministries specific to our racial / ethnic constituencies
- support for Disciples Men and Women
- our ecumenical witness
- and so much more!
Your gifts to Disciples Mission Fund matter; they allow the Church’s witness for wholeness to be heard in over 90 countries and right here at home in the United States and Canada.
See how your gifts are used by the church.