THE MISSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving from our doorsteps "to the ends of the earth.
THE VISION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice.
THE CONFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
As members of the Christian Church, we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world.
(Preamble to The Design)
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) contains many ministries that work in covenant to resource congregations for mission and ministry. Please use the links below to explore their web sites.
- General Board commits to seek new venue for 2017 General Assembly (3/25/2015) - Update, March 31: General Board commits to seek new venue for 2017 General Assembly Dear Disciples, We are Disciples of Christ, a movement for wholeness. We seek to follow in the footsteps of Jesus who came to this earth out of God’s love for all the world. We serve in Canada and the United States,...
- Little church focuses mission (3/24/2015) - First Christian Church of Anniston, AL, counts its members in double digits, and yet the church is determined to make a difference in their community. After a one-year “sabbatical” from mission projects they have found their niche. Pastor Laura Hutchinson says, “As a little church, we have the resources to do one mission project really...
- Disciple Women to discontinue quadrennial meetings (3/16/2015) - The Executive Committee of International Disciples Women’s Ministries announced March 11 that they will not be planning a Quadrennial experience for 2018. The news release said, “We celebrate the legacy of the rich memories, ministry and mission of the Quadrennial Assembly experience. “After an additional time of prayerful discernment the Executive Commit-tee of International Disciples...
- Disciples of Christ Historical Society Board meets, charts next steps (3/10/2015) - The Disciples of Christ Historical Society (DCHS) Board met in Nashville, TN, March 6-7, 2015. The Board of Directors, chaired by Archie Jenkins, took several actions to ensure the future of the Church’s archives and the Society’s role as one of several Stone-Campbell archives. One of the primary objectives of the board meeting was to...
- Disciples mourn passing of Fred Craddock (3/9/2015) - He was the favorite story-telling uncle for generations of Disciples. The Rev. Dr. Fred B. Craddock passed to new life in Christ on Friday, March 6 at the age of 86. He made himself the brunt of jokes about his physical size, but his stature as a preacher was unparalleled. Whenever Craddock was scheduled to...
- Fred Craddock (3/9/2015) - It’s hard to imagine our Disciples community without Fred Craddock.
- A Pastoral Letter and Call to Action: Journey to Ferguson (2/25/2015) - Lent 2015 In the six months following the killing of Michael Brown, an unarmed African American teenager, by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, many of us have struggled to understand what we see on television, in newspapers, and through social media and the internet. Not reported or highlighted, is the involvement of churches and...
- NCC Condemns ISIS executions of 21 Coptic Christians in Libya (2/19/2015) - The Coptic Orthodox Church is one of the National Council of Churches’ 37 member communions and therefore this act of evil strikes close to home. When first reports emerged on Sunday, February 15, Dr. Antonios Kireopoulos, NCC Associate General Secretary, contacted Bishop Serapion of the Diocese of Los Angeles of the Coptic Orthodox Church and...
- Pension Fund awarded Lilly Grant to research clergy financial literacy, economic stress (2/16/2015) - Lilly Endowment has awarded a $50,000 planning grant to Pension Fund of the Christian Church in order to study the financial knowledge and economic stresses facing pastors. The results of the planning process could lead to an implementation grant request of up to $1 million to support programs that enhance financial skills for effective leadership,...
- Moral injury and “American Sniper” (2/16/2015) - This article originally appeared in an issue of the Pacific Southwest Region's newsletter Feb. 4, 2015. Mile Marker #62: Moral Injury by Rev. Susan Gonzales-Dewey, Co-regional Minister, Pacific Southwest Happy are those who work for peace; God will call them his children! – Mathew 5:9 Last week the PSWR supported a conference on Moral Injury/Soul Repair....
Plans for the 2015 General Assembly are underway! The theme, "Soar!" is based on Isaiah 40. Comfort, preparation, call, challenge – all are contained in this single chapter. And there is also the promise of fresh strength to SOAR!
Visit the General Assembly web site to learn more about the theme, explore housing options, and learn more about the Columbus, Ohio area.
The Disciples Mission Fund is the common mission funding system of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Each of our regions, our general and racial/ethnic ministries, and our fourteen institutions of higher education and seven seminaries and divinity houses, need your continued support. Disciples Mission Fund is supported by your gifts and the four special day offerings of Easter, Pentecost, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Disciples Mission Fund dollars support:
- housing and food projects overseas
- provide for church camp
- leadership development
- spiritual care
- college scholarships
- theological education
- search and call
- ministries specific to our racial / ethnic constituencies
- support for Disciples Men and Women
- our ecumenical witness
- and so much more!
Your gifts to Disciples Mission Fund matter; they allow the Church’s witness for wholeness to be heard in over 90 countries and right here at home in the United States and Canada.
See how your gifts are used by the church.