THE MISSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving from our doorsteps "to the ends of the earth.
THE VISION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
To be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice.
THE CONFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH (DISCIPLES OF CHRIST):
As members of the Christian Church, we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world.
(Preamble to The Design)
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) contains many ministries that work in covenant to resource congregations for mission and ministry. Please use the links below to explore their web sites.
- Leaders encourage commemoration of Kagiwada Sunday (9/2/2015) - September 2, 2015 Download PDF Dear Church, You are invited to join with North American Pacific/Asian Disciples (NAPAD) in honoring the memory of the Rev. David Kagiwada on September 13, 2015. Kagiwada Memorial Sunday will commemorate the 30th anniversary of Rev. Kagiwada’s passing and marks the beginning of NAPAD Ministry Week, September 14-19, 2015. The...
- Religious leaders issue statement re: American Muslims (9/1/2015) - Keeping Our Communities Open to American Muslims A Statement of Principles from Faith Leaders of Shoulder to Shoulder As leaders of a number of religious groups in this country, we are deeply disturbed by recent reports that a growing number of businesses across America have declared themselves to be “Muslim-free zones,” the latest of which...
- End Racism Sunday Sept. 6: a letter from Disciple leaders (8/29/2015) - August 28, 2015 Dear Colleagues in Ministry, Few of us will ever forget the horror of the murder of nine church members in Bible study - in church. Nine African American faithful, including pastors and laypersons, had welcomed the white stranger into their midst at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. But he was intent...
- Christian leaders speak on Iran agreement (8/25/2015) - Letter from the General Minister and President to President Obama on behalf of the General Assembly in response to GA-1540 Support for Agreement with Iran ________ Christian leaders from National Council of Churches distribute letter to Congress Date: August 25, 2015 Contact: Kate Gould, Friends Committee on National Legislation: Kate@nullfcnl.org Steven D. Martin, National Council...
- Sacred Hoop seeks to minister to Native Americans (8/17/2015) - Oklahoma is a natural place for the seeds of a Disciples Native American movement to sprout. Phillips Theological Seminary in Tulsa has intentionally recruited self-identified Native American ministers and offered classes touching on Native American spirituality for a number of years.* One graduate is Rev. Bill Running Wolf Davis. It was during his time at...
- Ferguson: One year ago (8/8/2015) - One year ago by Rev. Dr. Timothy James, administrative secretary of the National Convocation One year ago Ferguson, Missouri was a little obscure suburban city outside of St. Louis. It was suddenly snatched out of seclusion to national prominence when Michael Brown, an 18 year old unarmed African American male was shot and killed by Darren...
- Statement in response to ruling by Judge Dolly Gee regarding family detention (7/27/2015) - July 27, 2015 Throughout the Bible, there are stories of families, like those of Moses and Jesus, forced to escape dangers, flee violent threats, cross borders and leave communities and loved ones in order to stay alive. This has been the experience of thousands who have come to our nation fleeing fears in their...
- Christmount appoints search committee (7/14/2015) - Christmount’s Executive Director, Michael Murphy, announced his retirement at the April 2015, meeting of the Christmount Council and Administrative Board. Murphy intends to retire in early July 2016, after more than 18 years as Christmount’s Director. Shortly after the meeting, Administrative Board and Council Chair, Sarah Draper of Birmingham, AL, appointed a search committee to...
- Thoughts on Religious Freedom and the Supreme Court Decision on Marriage Equality (7/14/2015) - by the Rev. Dr. Sharon E. Watkins, general minister and president Two different discussions are stirred by the June 2015 Supreme Court decision on marriage equality. One relates to social, biblical and theological understandings of marriage. The other is about religious freedom and the separation of church and state. The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)...
- National Pastor responds to US presidential candidate (7/3/2015) - Communiqué of the Central Pastoral Office of Hispanic Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada The statements of the multimillionaire magnate and 2016 presidential candidate, Donald Trump, reported by the media and referring to the Mexican community, have been repudiated on account of their racist, irresponsible, misinformed, unjust...
Visit the General Assembly web site to see the results of business and more.
The Disciples Mission Fund is the common mission funding system of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Each of our regions, our general and racial/ethnic ministries, and our fourteen institutions of higher education and seven seminaries and divinity houses, need your continued support. Disciples Mission Fund is supported by your gifts and the four special day offerings of Easter, Pentecost, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Disciples Mission Fund dollars support:
- housing and food projects overseas
- provide for church camp
- leadership development
- spiritual care
- college scholarships
- theological education
- search and call
- ministries specific to our racial / ethnic constituencies
- support for Disciples Men and Women
- our ecumenical witness
- and so much more!
Your gifts to Disciples Mission Fund matter; they allow the Church’s witness for wholeness to be heard in over 90 countries and right here at home in the United States and Canada.
See how your gifts are used by the church.