Justice. If you have a police officer or lawyer in the family, chances are you think of this word in connection with law enforcement, but there are other ways to use this word. One of Webster’s definitions is “the principle or ideal of right action: righteousness.”
June 10, 2020: Refugee and Immigration Ministries, part of Disciples Home Missions | Recording of June 11 conversation | #40for40 posts celebrating Disciples’ involvement in refugee resettlement since 1980
July 1, 2020: Green Chalice
July 29, 2020: Reconciliation Ministry | Facebook live event July 30 | First “Love is an Action Word” town hall July 30 (7 part series – to register for future events, find the event in the event calendar and click on the registration information in each individual event listing) | In the summer of 2020, Disciples Peace Fellowship and Reconciliation Ministry partnered on a Parallel Journey “choose your own adventure” experience.
August 5, 2020: Disciples Public Presence & Center for Indigenous Ministries | Get to Know the Center for Indigenous Ministries event Aug. 6, 1 pm ET | Love is an Action Word town hall Aug. 13, 7 pm ET | Litany for Indigenous Justice
August 12, 2020: Disciples Justice for Children & Disciples Palestine-Israel Network
July 2020 resources from Disciples Home Missions’ Ministries Across Generations for talking to children about reconciliation.
In the summer of 2020, Disciples Peace Fellowship and Reconciliation Ministry partnered on a Parallel Journey “choose your own adventure” experience.
In 2018, several of the justice ministries associated with the Disciples formed a grass-roots style partnership via the Disciples Public Presence Facebook group. Included are many of the members of the former justice table as well as newer interest groups. Included areas follows:
- Disciples Women
- Green Chalice
- Refugee & Immigration Ministries along with other Disciples Home Missions entities
- Global Ministries
- Disciples Alliance Q
- Disciples Peace Fellowship
- National Benevolent Association
- Disciples Center for Public Witness
- Reconciliation Ministry,
- Disciples Justice Action Network
- Center for Indigenous Ministries
- Disciples Justice for Children.
- Children understanding issues of poverty
- Group study on justice
- Acts of Reconciliation resource page
- A series of devotions from a variety of voices across the life of the church. PDF (67 pages)
- Variety of worship and other resources – Well-Fed Spirit justice page.
- Preaching commentary volumes on justice themes for lectionary scriptures available for purchase
- PBS Frontline episodes on mass incarceration
- Book club recommendations from Week of Compassion
For a list of several of the current justice initiatives and programs in the Church, see ministry links below or go to our partner organization, the Disciple Center for Public Witness.
Find out more about the following justice areas:
- Children’s issues: Family & Children Ministries
- Coffee (fair trade): Equal Exchange/Disciples of Christ Coffee Project
- Displaced persons/refugees: Refugee & Immigration Ministries
- Disaster Relief: Week of Compassion
- Economic justice: Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility (ICCR); Ecumenical Poverty Initiative
- Ecology/Environment: Creation Justice Ministries
- Human trafficking: Disciples Women Breaking the Chains
- Legislative (national): Rapid Response
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Affirming community: Disciples Alliance Q
- Health: Pension Fund
- Hunger: Bread for the World or Society of St. Andrew
- Peace: Disciples Peace Fellowship
- Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival
- War: Conscientious Objectors or Disciples Peace Fellowship