Deadline extended to June 30, 2021
JOB TITLE: Director of Christian Education/Faith Formation
SUMMARY: The Director for Christian Education Ministries is a Merger staff position with the Division of Homeland Ministries (DHM) and the National Convocation of the Christian Church (DOC). Promoting the vitality of Black Disciples, the Director is responsible for the development and implementation of educational ministries which nurture and support the Christian Education/Faith Formation ministries of congregations and regions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates, markets, and implements, relevant and innovative learning opportunities at CC(DOC) events (General Assembly, regional events, with primary leadership for the African American School of Faith and Life at each Biennial Session
- Partners with the Administrative Secretary of the National Convocation to develop, support, and implement educational programming for congregational leaders and lay persons in Black Disciples congregations
- Engage and nurture a prophetic awareness of cultural and social shifts impacting congregational, and pastoral leadership needs for resource development, and implementation of new models to strengthen the Christian education ministry of the CC(DOC)
- Collaborate with other Merger staff to align resources and priorities for Black Disciples across education, leadership development, women, evangelism, and transformation needs
- Serve as general editor for specific Christian Education/Faith Formation resources such as Resource-Full
- Design and lead workshops and other educational experiences to strengthen Christian Education/Faith Formation in congregations and regions
- Serve as liaison to the Association of Christian Church Educators
- Nurture ongoing awareness of congregational and social needs for resource development, and implementation of new models to strengthen the Christian education ministry of the CC(DOC) partnering with Ministries Across Generations and other ministries.
- Work ecumenically with the National Council of Churches and other partners to enhance the Christian Education/Faith Formation mission of the church
- Work with other staff to strengthen and enhance the social justice/mission education ministries of the church
- Serve as an active participant on various Disciples Home Missions teams
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Broad history and background of ministerial experience in Christian Education/Faith Formation
- Knowledge of the scope, vision, and theology of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Understanding of human development, educational, anti-oppression/anti-black theories, and commitment to the anti-racist, pro-reconciling values and aspirations of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Lived experience in Black Disciples congregations
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as strong administrative and organizational skills
- Willingness and ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to prioritize and balance
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- Ability to implement short and long range goals
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage budgets
- Must possess leadership development skills
- Ability to travel frequently
- Skilled in group process
- Possess a passion for and interest in Christian Education/Faith Formation
- Commitment to a pro-reconciliation, anti-racism environment
This is a full-time professional staff position. This position requires travel and numerous weekends and evenings in addition to regular weekday work hours. This position can be deployed from a location within an hour of a major airport.
ORIENTATION, OVERSIGHT, AND EVALUATION:
The President of DHM and the Administrative Secretary of the National Convocation participate in the call of persons to merger staff positions. The Administrative Secretary will participate in the DHM work plan development with all staff by virtue of merger. Those work plans must include goals by position foci, objectives for the goals, workplans for those objectives including progress timelines and means of evaluation. The Administrative Secretary will meet with staff by virtue of merger to identify progress and emerging issues related to the various foci and participate with the President of DHM in the evaluation of merger staff by virtue of merger.
The Director of Christian Education/Faith Formation Ministries performs other duties and responsibilities as requested by the DHM President and the Administrative Secretary.
The salary is commensurate with experience.
LETTERS OF INTEREST AND RESUMES:
Letters of Interest and Resumes will be received through June 21, 2021. Submit a confidential letter of interest and resume to:
Kathy Watts, Corporate Secretary for DHM, [email protected]
The Division of Homeland Ministries, Inc. of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) dba Disciples Home Missions (DHM) Homeland Ministries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to make all personnel decisions without discriminating on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national or ethnic origin, and any other protected status.