“I consider the sufferings of this present time not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God.” Romans 8:18 – 19. NRSV
Dear beloved Disciples,
We are hurting.
We are haunted and outraged by the anguished cries of George Floyd, the gasp of “I can’t breathe” as a police officer knelt on his neck until the breath was completely taken from him. Floyd’s murder, like that of Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery in recent weeks, is just the latest in a long history of violence against Black and Brown people in our country. The protests that are happening in big cities and small towns across the nation are an outpouring of grief and anger born of centuries of pain and injustice.
As members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), we condemn this injustice. We weep not only for George Floyd, but for the entire system of oppression that has kept us from seeing each other as beloved children of God.
Racism and the denial of human dignity is counter to the call of Jesus Christ. Racism is a sin that breaks the heart of God.
Disciples, we call ourselves a Pro-Reconciling, Anti-Racist church. We have named it as a mission priority, and we have worked hard – though often imperfectly – to live that out in every expression of our ministry. In this moment, when protests rage and our hearts are broken again and again, we need to be the church we say we are.
We know that this moment calls for more than statements and prayers. In this moment, God is calling us to act.
We invite you to accept this call to action in one or more of these ways:
- Add your name to this statement affirming your commitment to Pro-Reconciliation and Anti-Racism as a mission priority of our church. (form below)
- Educate yourself about the history of systemic racism in this country and the ways racial injustice impacts every bit of our life together, from education and health care to jails and courtrooms and financial institutions. There are many good resources for learning; we’ve consolidated some of them HERE and will keep this page updated regularly.
- Sign up to participate in the Mass Poor People’s Assembly and Moral March on Washington: A Digital Justice Gathering on June 20, 2020. This event is part of an effort that seeks to address the interlocking injustices of systemic racism and poverty, and Disciples have been key leaders in this movement.
- Join in town hall discussions hosted by Disciples leaders about how the church can do more to help dismantle systems of racism. These virtual gatherings will be held later this summer; be sure to sign up for Disciples News Service email updates for more information.
- Get to work in your own community or church. Each context is different, so work where you are and with what you have. We want to hear from you about what you’re doing. Send a photo, video, or short paragraph describing what you’re doing to email@example.com, or tag us on social media (Facebook and Instagram: @christianchurchdoc; Twitter: @DisciplesNews) with #ccdoc. We’ll share those stories here so we can support and inspire one another in this hard, holy calling.
Something is happening right now, Church, and the Spirit of God is moving in it. May we be bold enough to join the work.
Yours in Christ,
Rev. Terri Hord Owens, General Minister and President
Rev. April Johnson, Minister of Reconciliation
Yes, I affirm our Disciples commitment to being a pro-reconciling, anti-racist Church.
Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,677
|Name||Congregation Name||City, State|
|Rev. Janet Moore||Marple Christian Church||Broomall, PA|
|Mrs. Cynthia Wiltshire||Lake Ozark Christian||Lake Ozark, Missouri|
|Rev. Joe Hodges||The Woodlands Christian Church||The Woodlands, TX|
|Mrs. Angela Christie||First Christian Church of Cadillac||Cadillac, MI|
|Mrs. Wilma Holman||New Hope Christian Church DOC||Beaufort, South Carolina|
|Mrs. Maria Gomez||Casa de Oracion||San Diego, Ca|
|Ms. Annie Sowell||Bethany Christian Church||Cleveland, OH. 44105|
|Mrs. Dena Turner||Salem First Christian Church||Keizer, OR|
|Mr. DENNIS TURNER||First Christian Church, Salem, Oregon||Keizer, OR|
|Mrs. Allison Haney||Harvard Avenue Christian Church||Tulsa, OK|
|Charles Stanley||Lindenwood Christian Church||Memphis, TN|
|Rev. Sydney Avent||Park Avenue Christian Church||New York, NY|
|Rev. Steven Borgard||Lafayette Christian Church||Lafayette, CA|
|Dr. Carolyn Ledford||First Christian Church, Black Mountain, NC||Fairview, NC|
|Dr. John Ledford||Retired||Fairview, NC|
|Rev. Steve Gardner||South Street Christian Church||Springfield, Missouri|
|Dr. Jack Sullivan, Jr.||Woodland Christian Church||Columbus, Ohio|
|Rev. Michelle Scott-Huffman||Ekklesia Campus Ministry at Missouri State University||Springfield, MO|
|Ms. Catherine Jobe||New Hope Fellowship||Fort Worth, TX|
|Awit Marcelino||Sugarbush Christian Church||Guelph, ON|
|Rev. Bruce Baker-Rooks||SouthPark Christian Church||Charlotte, NC|
|Ms. Bonnie Ford||First Christian||Minneapolis, MN|
|Rev. Allyn Maxfield-Steele||Highlander Research & Education Center||New Market, TN|
|Rev. amos acree||East Aurora Christian Church/Disciples of Christ||East Aurora, NY|
|Rev. Joanne VerBurg||FCC||Black Mountain, NC|
|Ms. Anna-Maria Bliss||First Christian Church - Minneapolis||Minneapolis, MN|
|Judy Johnson||Murray Hills Christian Church||Beaverton, Oregon|
|Donna DiPaolo-Alexander||Central Christian Church||Jefferson, Iowa|
|Miss Carolynn Fisher||Church of the Valley VanNuys||Van Nuys, Ca.|
|Mr. Brent Long||Welcome Table Christian Church||Seattle, WA|
|Rev. Toni Colbert||Light of the World||Indianapolis, Indiana|
|Rev. Karen Knodt||First Christian Church||Carbondale, IL|
|Rev. Jolin McElroy||First Christian Church||Charlotte, NC|
|Rev. amos acree||East Aurora Christian Church/Disciples of Christ||Depew, NY|
|Adam Gerdes||First Christian Church||Burlington, Iowa|
|Martha Hatt||University Place Christian Church||Enid, Oklahomamarrhahatt@sbcglobal.net|
|Dr. Leslie Taylor||First Christian Church||Concord, California|
|Mr. Charles Stanley||Hillyer Memorial Christian Church||Raleigh, NC|
|Mr. Joel Cooper||FCC Bloomington, IN||Westfield, IN|
|Rev. Marty McCutchen||First Christian Presbyterian||Pryor, OK|
|Rev. Brian Daly||Pacific Beach Christian Church||San Diego, California|
|Gaye Holman||Beargrass Christian Church||Louisville, KY|
|Kerry Williams||First Christian Church||Huntsville, Alabama|
|Ms. Susan Durham||Beargrass Christian Church||Louisville, Ky|
|Rev. Phil Gilliland||First Christian Church, Falls Church, VA||Falls Church, Virginia|
|Dawn Taylor||Hampton Christian Church||Hampton, VA|
|Rev. Michael Shannon||Chapel Hill Christian Church||Chapel Hill, NC|
|Rev. Eric Atcheson||Valley Christian Church||Birmingham, Alabama|
|Rev. Lee Lawhead||Liberty Christian Church (DoC)||Liberty, Missouri|
|Rev. Jana Quisenberry||Brightwood Christian Church||Bethel Park, PA|
|Name||Congregation Name||City, State|